Thursday, September 27, 2007

Do you know what you want?

If you read most of the books on the subject of self-help, the majority of them deal with helping you to get what you want. The problem is that most adults don't know what they want. We used to know when we were growing up. If you ask a young child what he or she wants to do when they grow up, most likely they will tell you two or three choices. So what went wrong? I think that in the process of growing up we heard millions of negative comments from our own parents, teachers, siblings, friends and the media.

If you are one of those who had parents or mentors who encouraged you to experiment and follow your dreams, I envy you. Most of my experiences came from trying different approaches, some worked, some failed. It would have been much easier if I had a tested and successful road map. Well, my parents did the best they could with the experience they had.

The cartoon character Pogo said: "I don't know what I want, but I know I haven't got enough." And that's the problem. We are bombarded with tons of information and ideas, but we don't focus on what we want. Nowadays we are plugged in, whether is TV, headphones or the cellular phone. I think that we know what we would like to do, but it is buried in the deep recess of our mind. We are afraid to try, after all, we were told that it wouldn't work, remember?

I just came back from Chicago where I used to live. I love to observe people and couldn't help but to see that most people are in a world of their own, when it's not the headphones, it is the cellular phone. And another thing, it seems that most people are on their way to a non existent fire. Can you spell STRESS?

I can't tell you what to do with your life, but I will tell to find out real quick, life is short. Be happy, live your life like there is no tomorrow, and above all, be awake. Be in the moment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You close your blog saying "I can't tell you what to do with your life, but I will tell to find out real quick, life is short. Be happy, live your life like there is no tomorrow..." I must wonder - do you really believe this ? As I now leave for CA feeling empty - I do wish for you to know that as for me - if there is no tomorrow, I would want you in my todays" TeAmo Passionate Man.... circles and rainbows ...

SLOLady said...
This comment has been removed by the author.