Thursday, February 12, 2009

Myasthenia Gravis

Myasthenia who?? That's what I said to the Neurologist when she diagnosed this illness. MG is a chronic neuromuscular, autoimmune disorder that causes varying degrees of weakness involving the voluntary muscles of the body. Most commonly affects the muscles controlling eye movements, eyelids, chewing, swallowing, coughing and facial expression. Muscles that control breathing and movements of the arms and legs may also be affected. At present, the cause of myasthenia gravis is unknown, and there is no cure. I borrowed this information from the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America, Inc.

I was diagnosed in 2005 when my right eyelid became "droopy" or lazy. For some people this is the first indication. In march of 2008 I developed weakness of the neck, to the point that sometimes during the day I had to support my head with a thumb under my chin. I have had blurry vision, double vision, droopy eyelids (both, but at different times) and neck weakness. Other folks have some of these problems and more. I am happy to say that that as of this time, I am almost back to "normal".

Here is what I am trying to say: If you have some of these symptoms, find a Neurologist familiar with Myasthenia Gravis. It might not be this, but check it anyway. After your doctor confirms this disorder, follow the treatment and find a MG support group. Finding a support group of people who are experiencing this disorder is extremely helpful. The more you know about this disorder and know like-minded people the easier will be.

I live in the Carolinas and found a support group and the local Chapter of the Myasthenia Gravis Foundation. This has made all the difference in the world.

Here is the good news. There is LIFE after MG. You will learn to live with it and manage it. If I can be of any help to you, please let me know. speakfive@gmail.com