Monday, February 16, 2009

Will my life be better because of Mr. Obama

I am fascinated by the belief of some of people that the new administration has all the answers concerning the present condition of our country. I hear comments from young people thinking that the President and his administration will change their lives for the better. Maybe yes, maybe not.

What I do know is that every morning I have to get up, kick myself on the behind and attempt to do the best I can with my life. The minute that allow myself into believing that someone is going to make it better for me, I have become a co-dependent.

There is certain permeating nagging belief that we are done, that we can't lift ourselves up and that we have seen the best of this country. I disagree, it is up to each one of us to undertake the task of rebuilding this country from the bottom up. We need to start by taking personal responsibility for some of the problems - like borrowing money to buy trinkets which lose value the minute we exit the store, like borrowing money to buy a house we can't afford. It seems to me that this new generation lives from paycheck to paycheck and not saving any money for a "rainy day". I am told that the average couple doesn't have an emergency fund of any kind and if they do, it might be a month or so. The government can print money, we can't.

People ask, "Where is the stimulus money going?" and I say, Where is it coming from?
If we keep spending and borrowing from other countries, eventually we will go bankrupt. Or are we there already?

I may suggest that every morning we get up and ask ourselves this question. "What can I do today to help my country to get back on track? We can't have our President do it by himself. Agree?

No comments: