Saturday, July 7, 2007

The importance of knowing another language

Yesterday I had the opportunity of being able to help a friend who got hurt badly. She doesn't speak English and didn't know what to do. She called me and we managed to communicate by using a language other than English. I placed a 911 call and the paramedics came to her rescue. It felt great to be able to help her---all possible by knowing her language.

It's not the first time that I have been able to help someone who doesn't speak English. Sometimes people get lost, need help to find the nearest restaurant or medical attention. I know that very well, I have been at the receiving end. I remember the first time that I got lost in a strange city and someone helped me by talking to me in my native language.

Learning another language is a personal satisfaction, it's not done for the benefit of others. Some people say: Let them learn my language, why should I learn theirs? Well, that's a narrow view. We grow when we learn. As I said before, the learning of a language doesn't have to be difficult. Learn what you need or like, then use it.

4 comments:

cycledork said...

Good story. I appreciate your point.

Melissaa813 said...

I think you show a great example of the importance of knowing another language. im writting a paper on why my university should require 2 years of a foreign language for graduation. And I think your example illustrates a good reason why schools should require students to study a foreign language.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.