Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Learning languages should be fun, not a chore.

Today someone asked me how long would it take to learn the Spanish language. WOW! This takes the fun out of it. My response was: I don't know. I speak the language fluently and can't say that I know it all. Everyday is a new discovery, new words, new expressions.

Conversational anything is for communication, for fun, for understanding. If you are planning to get a college degree because you intend to teach, write books, being a writer for a newspaper where accuracy and command of the language is very important, then, you have a horse of a different color.

I am an advocate of learning a language the easy way, then if you are really serious and have the commitment for a long term learning, go for it.

In the meantime, learn 365 sentences and travel, have fun, get dates, ask for directions, well, you get the idea. My questions is: When are you going to start?

No comments: