Sunday, August 26, 2007

Are Green Herons really green?

I tutor a friend of mine who owns and operates a professional landscaping company, she designs landscapes with beautiful trees and pavers. The name of her company is Green Heron and does business in the south west Raleigh area.

Actually this writing has nothing to do with Green Herons. It's about how easy it is to focus on something and miss the complete picture. In the process of our weekly tutoring she was telling me about the company's name - Green Heron. My mind was trying to see a GREEN HERON with no success. See, Green Herons are not really green.

What I am trying to say is that sometimes we focus on the unimportant. We miss the greatness that is in the outside perimeter - the stuff that really matters. I am guilty of doing that. I have a teenager who is going through the growing pains of becoming a young adult. Lately I look for all the things that are negative in nature and fail to recognize all the great attributes that he possesses.

We have the tendency to critique our love ones, our friends and colleagues. How about looking for the greatness in them? I never understand how a parent never said "I love you" to his or her child.

Next time you run into a person, instead of looking for the green feathers, why don't you see the beautiful black cap, blue-gray back and wings, chestnut neck and white stripe down center of neck?

No comments: