Saturday, August 11, 2007

It feels good when you help someone who doesn't speak English.

I mentor a friend who has a business and has a great need to communicate with her employees and other associates. Most of them speak Spanish. She told me today the story about two ladies who got involved in a car collision. She happened to be a witness and decided to help them since one of them spoke Spanish only.

When the police officers arrived, they recruited her to become the "official translator". My friend offered compassion and instructions to the lady who didn't speak English and waited for her until the ambulance transported her to the nearest hospital. I told her that not too long ago I had the opportunity to help someone who got hurt and I was asked to call 911 and request emergency services for the person who couldn't speak English well enough to have a clear communication.

My friend and I agreed that being able to help someone in need provides a great deal of satisfaction. This is not limited to languages, it could be that someone needs CPR or simple instructions to find a unfamiliar place.

Do you have any stories about your helping someone in the past?

No comments: